Myanmarâ€™s religious affairs minister U Aung Ko rejected calls for his resignation from nationalists, including monks, accusing him of favoring Islam over Buddhism in the country and said he intended to â€œpurifyâ€ Buddhism.
â€œMy position is not appointed by [the protesters], but by the leader democratically elected by the people. Iâ€™ve no reason to resign at their demand,â€ the Union Minister for Religious Affairs and Culture told reporters, adding that the accusations of protesters were â€œbaselessâ€ and he would file lawsuits in the future.
Hundreds of nationalists and monks along with thousands of their supporters staged a protest against the minister in Naypyitaw last month. On Sunday, they again gathered in Myanmarâ€™s two biggest cities Yangon and Mandalay, claiming the government had ignored the list of demands that they laid out at the Naypyitaw demonstration.
The minister said he would purify Buddhism, and his ministry was now drafting plans to take action against those claiming to act in the name of Buddhism but not following the religionâ€™s doctrine, with the approval of the government and the State Buddhist Sangha Authority known by its Burmese acronym Ma Ha Na.
His comments came after the National League for Democracy (NLD)-led government forbade ultranationalist Buddhist monk U Wirathu from giving sermons for a year in March and banned the name and signage of the Association for the Protection of Race and Religionâ€”better known by its acronym Ma Ba Thaâ€”in May.
U Tint Lwin, one of the organizers of recent protests, said nationalists were planning to stage a sit-in in front of Yangon City Hall.
Nationalists have accused the minister, and the NLD government, of preferential treatment of Muslim communities for allowing numerous ceremonies to mark the birth of Prophet Muhammad across Myanmar in January, when they were previously only held in Yangon and Mandalay.
The minister said permission for such celebrations was granted by concerned township administrators, not his ministry; but he had passed on the remarks that celebrations should be limited to the Presidentâ€™s Office and the home affairs ministry.
Nationalist protesters shut down a number of the celebrations, he added.
The minister also accused groups of paying protestors and challenged organizers to rally 100,000 to take to the streets to call for amendment of the military-drafted 2008 Constitution.
He said he â€œwould resign and donate my possessions to the state,â€ if they succeeded.