Myanmar and foreign journalists representing international media organisations arrived in Rakhine State on Wednesday, with a pledge from the government to not impose any restrictions on the reporters visiting the troubled areas that have been the site of violence since October.
Journalists from AFP, Nikkei, VOA, Kyodo News, Xinhua, AP, Frontier, CNA, TV Asahi, RFA, ABC, BBC, NHK, Reuters, MITV and MNA were included in this third press trip to Rakhine State.
Independent media groups visited Maungtaw from 19 to 22 December 2016 and from 28 March to 1 April 2017.
The 18 Myanmar nationals and foreigners who arrived on Wednesday will stay in Rakhine State from 12 to 16 July. They received a government escort to the northern areas of Buthidaung and Maungtaw.
â€œThere are no restrictions regarding the areas that you can report from,â€ said U Thet Swe, a director at the Ministry of Informationâ€™s News and Periodicals Enterprise.
â€œWe didnâ€™t arrange any â€˜for showâ€™ places for news reporting,â€ he said.
Last year, Myanmarâ€™s army performed numerous â€œclearance operationsâ€ in the area after violent attackers fought border patrol posts near the Bangladesh border, killing nine police officers.
Some 75,000 people fled across the nearby border to Bangladesh, according to the United Nations, which has documented allegations of gang rape, torture, arson and killings by security forces.
The government has denied most of the allegations, and has denied entry to a UN fact-finding mission tasked with looking into the allegations.
The government has not allowed independent journalists and human rights monitors from going to the area in the far north of the state for the past nine months for their own security.
State Counsellor Daw Aung San Suu Kyi has said a UN fact-finding mission would only heighten tension in the region. Myanmar officials say a domestic investigation, led by Vice President U Myint Swe and a commission headed by former UN chief Kofi AnnanÂ â€“ are the appropriate ways to address problems in Rakhine State. Annan recommended in March that authorities â€œprovide full and regular access for domestic and international media to all areas affected by recent violenceâ€.