Jatiya Oikya Front has been denied permission again for its rescheduled public rally in the Sylhet’s Registry Field on Wednesday, according to UNB.
“We didn’t give Oikya Front permission for its rally here on security grounds,” Sylhet Metropolitan Police (SMP) commissioner Golam Kibria told UNB on Saturday evening.
Earlier in the day, a BNP delegation submitted an application to the SMP authorities around 1:20pm seeking permission for the rally.
Nearly one-and-a-half hours later, the authorities informed the delegation that the rally cannot be held for security reasons, said Sylhet district BNP president Abul Kahar Shamim.
He said Oikya Front leaders’ scheduled visit to Sylhet on Wednesday will remain unchanged though they were denied permission for the rally.
On Friday, Jatiya Oikya Front leaders at a meeting in the capital deferred its maiden public rally in Sylhet to 24 October as it was denied permission to hold the programme on 23 October.
After the meeting, Gano Forum general secretary Mostafa Mohsin Montu said the Oikya Front leaders would go to Sylhet on 24 October even if they were not given permission to stage their rally.
Montu said senior Oikya Front leaders would offer fateha at the shrines of Hazrat Shahjalal (R) and Shah Paran (R) and at the grave of MAG Osmani, the commander-in-chief of the Armed Forces during the War of Liberation, in Sylhet on 24 October.
On 13 October, BNP together with Kama Hossain-led Jatiya Oikya Prokriya, JSD and Nagorik Oikya launched the Jatiy Oikya Front to press for their seven-point demand, including holding the next polls under a non-party administration.