Insurgent attacks in Afghanistan up by 13% in past 7 months

Insurgent attacks in Afghanistan up by 13% in past 7 months

SAM Staff,
SHARE
Acting defense minister of Afghanistan Gen. Tariq Shah Bahrami, Photo: Tolo news

Afghanistan’s acting defense minister Gen. Tariq Shah Bahrami said on Sunday (Nov 12) that in the past seven months insurgent attacks have increased by 13 percent.

He also stated that the casualty toll among insurgents in this time has risen by 11 percent.

Addressing a press conference in Kabul on Sunday, after returning from last week’s NATO defense ministers meeting in Brussels, Bahrami said that although the number of attacks have increased, the casualty toll among insurgents was much higher than that sustained by the Afghan security forces.

He reiterated NATO secretary general Jens Stoltenberg’s announcement that the organization would also be sending in more troops, in addition to the United States’ troop surge of about 4,000.

Bahrami stated that NATO approved the Afghan government’s four-year strategy and pledged to continue supporting the country’s military endeavors financially. He also said a clear message emerged during the NATO meeting and that was aimed at Pakistan to stop supporting insurgency.

He went on to say that a meeting was held on the sidelines of Brussels summit with Germany and other allies on the security situation in the northern parts of the country.

He did not however give any further information in this regard.

But he said pressure has been ramped up against Pakistan to work with Afghanistan and not against it.

“If Pakistan takes one step towards us, we will take two steps,” he said.

This comes after the NATO chief said last week that 27 nations have committed to increasing troop numbers in the structure of the Resolute Support Mission in the coming months and the new commitment will increase the number of troops from 13,000 to 16,000.

print
SOURCETOLO NEWS
SHARE